Monday, March 10, 2014

A new group , the same AEPE program

     I would like to introduce a new group of English  teachers who will improve their knowledge and skills in English language, in methodology of teaching, in leadership skills through organization of different projects and management skills by sharing leader's position.
The AEPE program(2) started on January from the orientation session for teachers where four groups -two of them from Jalal Abad, and two others from Osh, participated actively discussing the steps of the program. The program supported by ACCELS and finalists of the program have  passed  application process, test, and  interview. This program is free for finalists and alternates , but they have to give back their knowledge and skills into community  through projects, and other activities.

On this photo you can see the enhancement activity project that was organized by my group of teachers for teachers of English. All teachers  shared their thoughts and expereince of work in teaching songs into the classroom.

Each month we have in plan to organize a Native speaker club with a Native speaker, who will introduce different topics for discussion. At this month Ms. Paula, a Fullbright program fellow from the USA could lead a discussion about the social and economical problems in our country and how teachers deal with these questions at their classrooms. Discussion was very interesting and many teachers at the first time participated in such kind of "round-table". It was a great expereince for them that they will absolutely share with their students.Teachers will improve their language speaking skills and it  will be very useful to develop their critical thinking skills.

Our teachers have to organize and demonstrate an open lesson with the following positive and constructive feedback. Each month one or two teachers will do it turn by turn.
This "lesson" will help all of us-students and me as a trainer to look through the new prizm of teaching expereince and to develop my lessons in order to support my students in their teaching, in their presentation, and in their work with students.

At the lessons with my students- teachers, I am  planning to organize different methodological  sessions and to discuss and apply new knowledge and skills about lesson planning, learning styles, multiple intelligence skills, use of technology into the classroom, diversity in the classroom, and students thinking  in the learning process.

I am  going to analyze the trajectory of development in our course through the formative and summative feedback and reflection of my students (teachers). Each of our lessons full of different activities with new strategies of work that allow teaching to learn and improve their speaking , writing, reading, listening, and critical thinking skills.
Our next plan is to prepare a poster presentation and present a teaching philosophy, teachers' understanding of it and to analyze how it correlates with their teaching practice. I want my students to think about it deeper and I will observe their presentation and analazy their thoughts. On the base of it I will develop my next lesson plans to discuss issues that are difficult to my students.Teachers started to think deeply about their mission and teaching philosophy in matching with their classroom activities and outcomes of their work and they were very surprized about some questions that were posted to them through Interview, because they have never thought about some of them before.


1.      1. Why did you decide to become a teacher?
2. What is your teaching philosophy?
3. What is your philosophy on homework?
4. Are you a team player? If so, please give me an example.
5. What activities have you have implemented that reflect your philosophy of education as it relates to middle school students?
6. How do you motivate students?
7. What is your approach in classroom management?
8. What methods have you used or would you use to assess student learning?
9.  Which methods do you use in your classrooms to teach students?
10. What you do with students' misbehavior?
11. What are your greatest strengths?
12. What is your biggest weakness?
13. What do you like most/dislike most about teaching?
14. What are the essential requirements to teach a class?
15. Why do you want to work for your school?
16. How would you describe a successful teacher?
17. What will make you a great teacher in 10 years?
 
One of my student, Akmaral mentioned:
"I am really happy, that I am in this project and my dreams came true. In initial days, after the orientation, when I got home, I felt the sparks of desire for teaching appeared inside of me. I took my notebook and began to write, remembering what I have experienced through orientation. Later the days with English classes started. After participating each class at the lessons, I began understand the significance of my profession. I experienced it at the class and then used it at the classroom with my students. I started to feel sure of my English. In a short time, I have learned a lot of teaching skills. For example: to provide a feedback; to make a presentation; to present a speech, grammar, different games, and new words. We discussed how to work together; how to scan information and to write an essay. I have already experienced a lot of things which I wasn’t aware before. The experience and knowledge are really helping me in teaching process and my students also noticed it, they are getting to participate actively at class activities. My classes are becoming to be more interesting than before. I am also looking on my AEPE teacher, at her talent and strategies of work that I can use for my work. I am getting benefit from all activities of the project.
Thank you AEPE!"

 I am planning to improve: students' speaking skills through the 10 basic projects for presentation (each student has to present at the lesson a speech with a topic that they hoose themselves,and according to criteria we will assess their speech presentation);  their vocabulary by using new vocabulary  at each lesson; writing skills by writing essays; reading skills by working with reading comprehension activities; analytical skills by discussing different issues. At the same time different methodological sessions will imrpove students' level of teaching.We will discuss new ways of teaching and use of technology in the classroom.  I believe that my students-teachers will publish their own posts in their blogs that I will help them to create and we will publish the result of our work after each month.
We will be happy to receive a positive and constructive feedback on our progress of work that will encourage and motivate my students in their work and studying!
The best, Natalya

No comments:

Post a Comment